How much does Upward Bound cost, do I have to pay anything?

Upward bound is free to all qualifying participants; there is no cost to you. The U.S. Department of Education pays for all costs.

How can I become participant in the Upward Bound Program?

Your high school principal, counselor, or teacher(s) can recommend you; or, you can talk to the Education Advisor at South Albany High School and request an application. Each student must:

  • Have the potential to succeed, as determined by the program.
  • Be a citizen, or permanent resident of the United States.
  • AND

  • Be classified in at least one category, as follows:

Can I still participate in the Upward Bound program if I do not go to South Albany High School?

We've grown! We now have programs at the following partner high schools: South Albany High School, Sweet Home High School, McMinnville High School, Hood River Valley High School, Corvallis High School.

Do I have to reapply every year?

No, once you have been accepted into the program you are a participant until high school graduation.

Do you need to be a high achieving student to be involved in Upward Bound?

Absolutely not. You can be failing one or more classes, but you do need to demonstrate a sincere interest in completing a high school diploma and attending college. This means you must have a GPA between 2.50 – 4.00 and are actively trying to improve. If your GPA is below 2.5 you need to speak to the Educational Advisor to set up a plan so you can get on track for admission into the program.

How will I know if I have been selected to participate in Upward Bound?

Once a student is selected, they will get an official welcome letter in the mail. The Educational Advisor will set up and appointment with the student and provided them with the UB workbook.

Why do you need my social security number?

The federal government requires us to collect social security numbers in order to track students through college graduation. All information collected is kept secured in our office.

What happens if I do not meet the low-income level?

Students are accepted into the program based on their income level and the parent's highest education. If a household does not meet the low-income level, but neither parent has a bachelor's degree then student can still be accepted into the program.

Can I apply just for the summer program?

No, you must participate in the academic year program before the summer program. Once you have been accepted into the program, you can participate until you graduate from high school.

Does Upward Bound pay for my college?

No. Upward Bound does not provide funds to pay for a student’s tuition, fees, books, etc however, we do provide you the support and experience you need to qualify and apply for scholarships and financial aid for college.